English Academia 3 (EA3) is an online course on English medium instruction (EMI: teaching academic subjects in English). Dr Nicola Galloway, who is one of the leading experts in EMI, was invited from the University of Edinburgh as an instructor. She will explain the definition of EMI, background on the increasing provision of EMI, and issues related to EMI.
Modules 1–10 include lecture videos and other activities such as quizzes and discussion forums. Module 11 presents the final assignment.
Each module lasts for 30–40 minutes. You can study the modules at your own pace in your spare time.
- Module 1Introduction
- Module 2What is EMI?
- Module 3Where is EMI conducted?
- Module 4Why is EMI conducted?
- Module 5How is EMI conducted?
- Module 6Teachers
- Module 7Students
- Module 8Administrators and Universities
- Module 9Policymakers
- Module 10Conclusion
- Module 11Final assignment
We addressed the following two points when developing this course:
- The activities are designed in a manner that enables you to apply what you have learned in your own context!
- This course does not merely overview the definition and scope of teaching academic subjects in English but also helps you apply what you have learned in your own context by working on the activities. You get the opportunity to analyze what you would/should do in your own context rather than merely watching lecture videos.
- A discussion forum is installed to allow you to network worldwide to discuss issues related to EMI!
- Using this platform, you can communicate with other learners and also instructors. It enables you to share practices and discuss issues related to teaching academic subjects in English with practitioners all around the world to improve your own classroom methodologies.
While EA1 and EA2 foundational courses on academic English, EA3 is an advanced course that acquaints you with EMI. EA3 will help you acquire comprehensive knowledge of and skills at teaching academic subjects in English. Please make use of this course to improve your career prospects.
*Please note that English Academia 3 is prepared in British English for it to be consistent with the language used by the instructor.